
Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardena said on Wednesday that bowlers risk becoming an endangered species if Test matches continue to be played on flat wickets.
"You can say if you have too many pitches like this in international cricket there won't be any bowlers," Jaywardena said after the first Test against Pakistan was drawn at the National Stadium.
Jayawardena and Thilan Samaraweera both scored double centuries on the flat batting wicket and also secured a record 437-run fourth-wicket stand in Sri Lanka's imposing first innings score of 644-7 declared.
Jayawardena said the batting surface was docile, offering no encouragement for either team's bowlers. "As a batsman I don't think I have complaints, I think even our bowlers wanted to bat on that wicket."
The home team's new captain Younus Khan scored a triple century and batted for more than two days to lead Pakistan to its highest total in a Test match before declaring at 765-6 on the last day.
The 31-year-old Khan was bowled by fast bowler Dilhara Fernando for 313 as he could add just seven more to his overnight score of 306. His monumental innings lasted 12 hours, 48 minutes and contained 27 boundaries and four sixes.
"I don't get disappointed," Khan said. "I play for my team and for my country. I feel I can play for another two to three more years."
However, Khan is unlikely to get a better opportunity to set a new mark if Pakistan cricket heeds the calls of its former players.
In the Test against Sri Lanka, Pakistan was playing its first Test in 14 months, having last played against India at Bangalore in December 2007.
For former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram it was a "mystery" wicket on which 1,553 runs were scored and only 18 wickets fell.
"It's a mystery to me why after 14 months without Test cricket such type of a wicket was made," Akram said. "We don't have to play the blame game but have to look (at) what type of wicket should be prepared for the next Test."
Akram said he had a say in the preparation of wickets when he lead Pakistan before retiring from international cricket after the 2003 World Cup.
"I think a captain's involvement should be there," he said.
"When I was the captain or Imran (Khan), Javed Miandad and Inzamam-ul-Haq used to lead, we made sure what type of wicket we should have and we used to get it," Akram added.
Another former Pakistan Test skipper Ramiz Raja suggested introducing drop-in pitches like the ones used in Australia and New Zealand.
"The pitch should be equally good for bowlers and batsmen, but unfortunately we are not seeing such wickets in Pakistan for the last so many years," Raja, who is now a television commentator, said.
Raja added that flat tracks like the one at the National Stadium cause Pakistan batsmen to struggle when they play in countries such as Australia and South Africa.
"We have to make a clear strategy on what type of wickets we should make for the home series," Raja said. "Captain, coach, curator and selection committee should all be consulted."
AP
Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:13:12 AM
No comments:
Post a Comment