Six members of the touring Indian team will play in New Zealand's domestic first-class competition over the next two weeks as a warm-up for their three-Test series against New Zealand starting on March 18.
New Zealand Cricket confirmed that VVS Laxman, Rahul Dravid, Amit Mishra, Murali VijayLakshmipathy Balaji and Dhawal Kulkarni will play in the next two rounds of the State Championship four-day competition.
New Zealand Cricket said Dravid will play for Canterbury against Central Districts at Rangiora from March 9 while leg spinner Mishra will play for Central Districts in the same match.
Laxman will appear for Otago and fast bowler Balaji will play for Wellington in a match at Dunedin the same round.
Vijay and Kulkarni will play in the next round, from March 13 to 16 for either Central Districts or Wellington.
New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan said he was pleased that agreement with the New Zealand players association and major associations had made it possible to meet the Indian requirement for game time for its players.
“There have been a number of issues to work through, including the involvement of ICL players, NZC's rules around overseas and qualifying players, player allocation, scheduling and travel arrangements,” Vaughan said.
“This is an excellent solution that means we've able to offer the incoming Indian players appropriate preparation in first-class conditions and at the same time give our domestic sides an incredible opportunity to play alongside some of the great names in international Test cricket,” he added.
Indian coach Gary Kirsten said he was pleased New Zealand had been able to provide playing opportunities to members of the touring team.
“Because of the tight schedule and no warm-up match it would have been difficult for those players straight off the plane. I think it sets a good example,” he said.
New Zealand Cricket confirmed that VVS Laxman, Rahul Dravid, Amit Mishra, Murali VijayLakshmipathy Balaji and Dhawal Kulkarni will play in the next two rounds of the State Championship four-day competition.
New Zealand Cricket said Dravid will play for Canterbury against Central Districts at Rangiora from March 9 while leg spinner Mishra will play for Central Districts in the same match.
Laxman will appear for Otago and fast bowler Balaji will play for Wellington in a match at Dunedin the same round.
Vijay and Kulkarni will play in the next round, from March 13 to 16 for either Central Districts or Wellington.
New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan said he was pleased that agreement with the New Zealand players association and major associations had made it possible to meet the Indian requirement for game time for its players.
“There have been a number of issues to work through, including the involvement of ICL players, NZC's rules around overseas and qualifying players, player allocation, scheduling and travel arrangements,” Vaughan said.
“This is an excellent solution that means we've able to offer the incoming Indian players appropriate preparation in first-class conditions and at the same time give our domestic sides an incredible opportunity to play alongside some of the great names in international Test cricket,” he added.
Indian coach Gary Kirsten said he was pleased New Zealand had been able to provide playing opportunities to members of the touring team.
“Because of the tight schedule and no warm-up match it would have been difficult for those players straight off the plane. I think it sets a good example,” he said.
AP
Monday, March 02, 2009 3:31:32 PM
No comments:
Post a Comment